CAMINO POR AMOR 2019
The "Camino por Amor" (walking for love) walks began in 2016 when Duncan Dyason walked from Costa Rica to Guatemala in three weeks to raise funds for the charity´s work in Central America with children and young people living on the streets and those living at high-risk of living on the streets.
The following year Duncan and Steve Poulson went head-to-head in a 100km in a day walking challenge and last year the couple challenged each other to walk from Guatemala to Honduras and vice versa in one week.
This year´s challenge is going to be one of the biggest challenges Duncan and his team have faced as they attempt a World Record, walking from Land´s End to John O´Groats and back again in just 15 days! Since we know of no one who has attempted or completed this challenge we will be setting a new world record.
The walk will be a team effort this year and will include Ben Soden, Steve Poulson, Joseph Soden and Duncan Dyason. The team have to walk 24/7, achieving 108 miles per day for 15 days. The grueling walk will take them from Cornwall, through Shropshire, The Lakes, The Cairngorms and then to the furthest Northern point in the UK, only to then return back to their start point in Cornwall.
Dates: Starting at midnight on Friday 14th June from Land´s End, stopping briefly at the John O´Groats official landmark on Friday 22nd June and then returning to the start point on Saturday 29th June.
The team will update supporters with more exact arrival points at the major landmarks as well as the many towns they will pass through on their journey.
WATCH THE LATEST VIDEOS:
- Dunc & Steve find rocks on the road!
- The Hobbits take to the road
- YMCA Special!
- Meet Javier, by Steve Poulson
- Trial Walk - The Last 24 Hours
- Joseph takes a break and shows us his feet!
- Steve accepts the challenge to wear a dress and raises £250
- The last moments of the trial walk in the jungles of Peten, Guatemala
- Alvaro´s Story as we mark just four weeks to go
- Can you help be a support driver this year?
- Dunc, Steve, Joseph and Ben set off on Sunday 31st March for their test walk, starting at ther Honduras/Guatemala border and heading North to the jungles of Peten. The walk will be 600km, with the team attpempting 160km per day (40km each) non-stop 24/7. The boys are accepting challenges along the way, so please do interact with them through our Facebook Page.
- MAP of the test walk
- The trial walk was completed by the intrepid four on Thursday 4th April. A way of walking, resting, preparing and supporting was achieved that would mean the 184km-per-day can be achieved.
- Press Release, 1st May 2019
- Global Care have decided to organise their own support for the walk by getting their staff to cycle the distance from Land´s End to John O´Groats over 10 days on static bikes in the office. THANK YOU
- On the 14th May we received the last of our correspondence from Guinness World Records who won´t be accepting our challenge. Their argument is that since someone can run the same distance fast than we will be walking it, we won´t be able to do it in the same time! Since no one has ever attempted or achieved this challenge we know we will be setting a world record regadless of what Guinness think. It is not really in the spirit of the Guinness World Records, but we need to focus on why we are doing the walk, not recognition from Guinness.
- Thanks to those who have been offering MEALS for the walk. Please check the calendar here to see what days are now free. Thank you for your help.
HOW TO SUPPORT
- DONATE (U.S. DONORS)
- DONATE (UK and all other donors)
- Follow the walk (link active a few days before the walk starts)
- Join the walk
- Offer meals along the way
- Check out the daily calendar for meals and driving support, plus any special event.
- Come and join in the finish in Cornwall on Saturday 29th June.
DETAILS OF THE ACTUAL ROUTE FOR JUNE 2019